18 March 2006

I have been vegetarian for a really long time. Lately, and actually for several years, I have been thinking about the next step. Yes--I mean veganism. It is the logical progression from vegetarianism. Just as the logical step of letting go of my attachment to my long hair was shaving my head, the next step in extending my philosophy about animals is to become vegan.

I had a moment of epiphany a year or so ago when I was eating in this amazing japanese restaurant called Kyoto with my sister and her husband. They live in Humboldt County in Northern California, a place that is accustomed to vegetarianism, and the server asked me if I was vegetarian or vegan. I answered that I was an "aspiring" vegan. At the time, I hadn't really thought that much about it. But later that evening I realized that I had no excuse to continue to consume dairy products and eggs.

So this month of March 2006 is my transition month from vegetarianism to veganism. I will no longer consume animal products of any kind. I will no longer purchase shoes made from leather. I will no longer eat ice cream, cream cheese, parmesan cheese, eggs, sour cream, whipped cream, cottage cheese or yogurt. No more butter. Yikes.

No comments: