18 December 2011

I Don't Feel Sorry for You, Ms. Spelling



The other day I made the unfortunate decision to spend almost an hour of my time watching a spectacle of consumer greed and conspicuous consumption on HGTV. This "special" hour-long festival of wealth and ridiculousness was called SELLING SPELLING MANOR . Yes, I admit it, I watched it.

The show is ostensibly about Candy Spelling and her 56,500 square foot home in Beverly Hills, and her struggle to emotionally detach from her ostentatious home. Having sold the "Manor" to some British heiress for 85 million bucks (65 million below her asking price), she has only 30 days to move out! Oh My!

But back to the important facts: yes, you read that right: 56,500 square feet. That's big enough to house 18 of Mitt Romney's 3009 square foot homes. Yes, 18. The average house in the United States, according to the National Association of Home Builders in 2009, is 2700 square feet. In 1970 it was 1700 square feet. My house is 1800 square feet, and often seems way too big for me.

The show is a spectacle of disturbing statistics and imagery. It is fascinating that anyone would ever actually construct such a monstrosity, in my view. Who fucking needs that much space? Who needs a bowling alley? A gift-wrapping room? A climate-controlled doll storage room? Not to mention the 17,000 square storage foot attic. (The attic space is NOT included in the 56,500 square feet of the Manor, by the way.) Anyway, I was just stunned at how much space this monstrosity actually has, and how anyone would ever think it was a good idea to create such a hulking and bourgeois display of wealth. What is the purpose?

Here is HGTV's description of the show:

Candy Spelling had just 30 days to move out after closing the sale on Spelling Manor, the 56,500-square-foot family home where she and television producer, the late Aaron Spelling, entertained presidents, royalty and Hollywood legends. Join us as Candy gives an exclusive tour of the mansion's more than 15 specialty areas, including a bowling alley; a billiard room; an arcade; a collector's gallery with more than 700 dolls; a projection room with a large-scale screen and full surround sound; a china room; a silver room with place settings for more than 50; a gift room with accompanying custom-designed gift-wrapping room; a design studio to capture photos of jewelry and other personal items for online auctions; and a collection fine-art originals, including one of the famous Dogs Playing Poker paintings.

At the end of this show I found out that there will be a second hour of SELLING SPELLING MANOR which will involve the trials and tribulations of Ms. Candy Spelling and the process of downsizing her possessions so that she can comfortably live in her new 16,000 square foot condo on Wilshire Boulevard.

Perhaps I'm being mean. Perhaps I should have sympathy for her struggles. But I don't. I think she is one of the most over-privileged humans I've ever seen, and her "struggles" are laughable in light of real problems suffered by people all over the world. Yes, I'm over-privileged too, in my own way. I'm not starving, nor do I lack for heat or comfort. I suppose we could all see Ms. Spelling's quandary as a lesson in mindless consumption and use it to reflect upon our own privileges. I'm still just disturbed that such domiciles exist. Think about it: her previous home, the 56,500 square foot structure, could easily have housed 25 families or more. What awesomeness would it have been if she had decided to make Spelling Manor a waystation for refugees, or a temporary shelter for victims of domestic violence, or even a place for stray dogs and cats? Why on earth does anyone need all that space to themselves? They don't.

14 comments:

Nick said...

I'm all for the fabulously wealthy wasting their money in extravagant displays, but come on. Doll storage? A bowling alley? Nothing worse than spoiled rich people with no creativity.

Anonymous said...

Candy Spelling, just like you, just like me, seeks happiness, feels pain, and wants love. God bless her, God bless you, and God bless me.

Aparna Muralidhar said...

Great post! Nothing personal against Ms. Spelling but I do agree that increasingly, people's priorities are becoming so completely screwed.

ivf doctor in delhi said...

Great, You write good content Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.

ivf cost in delhi said...

You shared very nice and detail information with us.This article contain very useful things for us I am very excited about this one it is so nice and very useful to us.Thank you for this information .I expect this kind of important information in future also so keep it up this nice work.

ivf centre in delhi said...

Hiya, I’m really glad I have found this info. Today bloggers publish just about gossip and net stuff and this is actually irritating. A good site with exciting content, this is what I need. Thank you for making this web-site, and I’ll be visiting again. Do you do newsletters by email?

ivf centre in bangalore said...

So great to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

ivf doctor in delhi said...

Nice Post, Thanks for your very useful information...

Cervical Spine Surgery In India said...

Hiii .. Nice post

ivf cost in india said...

hii great post

IUI Treatment in Delhi said...

I am so excited to know more about your post. I would request to give some feedback to you. Learn More -
IUI Treatment in Delhi

IVF Treatment in Delhi said...

Wow ! This is so nice. I am so proud of you. This blog information is unique and informative. We Want the Best from you.
IVF Treatment Cost in Delhi

Best IVF Center In Delhi said...

Look, I am very thankful to you. You have shared a wonderful post. Great Work buddy.
Best IVF Center in Delhi

Best IVF Doctor in Delhi said...

Nice Blog, Thanks for sharing.