25 October 2009

Michael, Leatherface, and Rosemary











I love horror movies--really love them. I teach a class on women in horror film and it is in many ways my favorite class to teach. What could be better? We watch horror films, read critical essays and a few novels, and take seriously a genre that deserves to be taken seriously.

Last night I saw Paranormal Activity and I really liked it. It wasn't the scariest movie I've ever seen--but it was very creepy and wildly entertaining. I think the creepiest aspect of the movie was how my own anxiety about where I was supposed to be looking made me jumpy. What was going to happen next? I kept wondering where the next fright would come from--I was trying to pay attention to the ways the camera angle was directing my gaze--it was all very exhausting and disturbing. Lots of fun!

Once I got home I found that the ending that was created for theatrical release was not the original ending of the movie--another interesting twist. I thought I'd provide the "original" ending in case anyone wants to watch it. Be forewarned, it really helps to have seen the entire movie--context is key for this one.

10/29/2009 Update: Paramount keeps blocking anyone from showing the original ending of this movie--I've literally posted and re-posted this clip about a dozen times. I give up! You can probably get it on you tube yourself, as people seem to be keeping one step ahead of Paramount there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't leave us hanging! Which one do you like better?

Personally, I like the theatrical release. Left me with more terror.

Also, what did you think of the few minutes of blank real at the end? My friends and I felt it took away from the film a bit-- it was just a little too long.

-Pete Clancy

PS- I don't know what kind of pickles they were. I will try to find out when my roommate's husband returns from Chicago sometime.

a.e. said...

Well, I think I have to agree with you--the theatrical ending was scary, and I liked that. But there is something creepier about the other one. However, I don't like the scene with the police--it seems stilted and fake. The bathroom light coming on, the door slamming, those I like.

Can't wait to hear about the pickles!