05 April 2009

do dead black women matter?


I have to say this story pisses me off in a very major fashion. Apparently there is a serial killer in Los Angeles county who has murdered at least eight black women since 1985. They have named this killer "The Grim Sleeper" and have yet to obtain any useful evidence, except for a lone 911 call from 1987.

What I want to know is this: why is this not big news? Why is Nancy Grace not all over this? Why do we obsess about every skinny white girl who goes missing on spring break, but when eight black women are killed barely anyone seems to even be aware of the case? Of course, skinny white women deserve to be found and saved, too, but I'm truly disgusted with the way we privilege stories about white women and neglect women of color.

I blame the white supremacist capitalist patriarchy.

No comments: