12 December 2009

Stop having babies!


I just read that Michelle Duggar of 18 Kids and Counting TV show fame just gave birth to her 19th child. 19th. That's just too many children. Three is too many children, as far as I'm concerned, but really now, 19? What are they thinking?

Well, to answer my own question, we know that they are not thinking at all, but following the principles of the Quiverfull movement that believes women should have as many children as god wants them to--which essentially means that they are breeding machines who produce baby after baby until their bodies wear out. Why do this, you ask? It's because the Bible says happy is the man that "hath his quiver full." So Mr. Duggar who can't stop impregnating his wife is equally if not more at fault for this hyper-breeding because of his sexist, misogynist and frankly fascist religious views.

You might say, well, she's her own person, isn't she? She can say no, can't she? That's another question. She belongs to this movement that reduces her to a walking, talking uterus. I wish I did understand why women participate in such ignorant and woman-hating belief systems, but I still don't get it. I even read the book Quiverfull by Kathryn Joyce, which gave me a lot of insight into the movement and the followers. It still baffles me.

1 comment:

jamie@midcenturymania said...

With that many kids, they can pretty much raise each other. That leaves the parents free to promote their television endeavors. Way to go super parents.